Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mr. Fix-It

Val uploaded these pics, but now she's on the phone, so I'll put some words here. Arriving back to our house that has been empty for the last 10 months presented us with a few need-to-be-fixed items. She snapped pics of two, shown here.


I had purchased this new deadbolt soon after we moved into our house (Dec. 05). I bought a new doorknob at the same time and put that on immediately. But the deadbolt just sat around. I finally installed it this week. After removing the old one, I had to re-size the hole for this one to fit. I could've just bought a new door, but I guess this is cheaper. And it was fun. And you don't have to have a key to unlock it from the inside anymore.


Today I replaced one of our porch lights. I had installed new porch lights not that long ago. I think it was last summer, actually. But sometime over the course of this past year, the dusk-to-dawn sensor on the left porch light had blown up. Well, it looked kinda like it did. Maybe it melted. It looked like that, too. In any case, you can't buy a new sensor - you have to buy a whole new light. So I had to hack into my house's ancient wiring and hook up a new light. Two new fingers later, it works.

Here's what I was saying about the new fingers. My ever-so-sharp utility knife enjoyed meeting two of my fingers while slicing through the electrical tape around the old wiring. As I began slicing the fatal slice, the thought went through my mind: I'm gonna slice my finger right here. But I sliced anyways. Ouch. But oh well. They'll grow back.

I also fixed our toilet, but Val was sleeping the whole time so she didn't get any pics. It's a toilet. And you know what I look like. So, feel free to imagine the pic if you want to. And I know you're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but I did it anywayzers.

4 comments:

Kristina Clemens said...

hey, guys...just poppin' in to say hi...

Sara Teter said...

Hey guys! Been wondering how you were doing and how the baby is coming along. Looks like we're in the same boat! =-) I think Val is only a month ahead of me or so. Check out my blog. I just started it a couple days ago. Miss you guys and think of you often. Sara Teter

Andrea said...

Hey Mr. Fix It...so proud of you! Ha! Miss you guys!

Sarah said...

Adam...You should start your own HANDYMAN CONNECTION!Ha Have to admit I laughed out loud! Its cheaper to do it yourself...even if you have to a few injuries along the way...easy for me to say! Looking forward to seeing you guys and are excited about the little bundle too! Love,Aunt Sarah