Friday, April 25, 2008

A tradition from yesteryear...

Seems like polishing shoes is a thing of the past. At least for people like me. I know that just two short generations ago, my grandfather polished his shoes every Saturday. So his shoes were freshly polished every Sunday for church. Somewhere between his time and mine, that activity was dropped. I can probably count on my hands and feet the amount of times I've polished my shoes since going to college 8 years ago.

Are manufacturers making shoes to stay nicer-looking longer? Or is it just a tradition that I failed to pick up on? It somehow reminds me of traditions like drinking coffee with your breakfast at McDonald's while sitting at the bar-type tables along the outside wall, gazing out the window all the while. Sure, your friend is there every morning, too, but talking isn't quite as important as just sitting there slowly eating your breakfast and drinking your coffee.

How come my era didn't pick up these things?!? They're so totally cool. Which is probably why we didn't pick them up. We think of them as a novelty, whereas 60 years ago they were thought of as a necessity. Oh well, for what it's worth, I polished my shoes the other night.


And as you can see, quite a difference between the two shoes. And I pulled my pant legs up for the picture. Wearing high-water britches is another tradition that I did not pick up.

2 comments:

Greg & Stephanie said...

I may be way off, but it seems like that generation placed a higher premium on looking "sharp". The shoes were shined to perfection, whereas we are now just happy if they only have a few scuffs...I don't know, just a thought!

Blair Bunch said...

It feels like we spend all our childhood wanting to be different and better off than our parents and all our young adulthood thinking maybe their ways weren't so bad???